Best Oximeters Buyers Guide
The purpose of oximeters is to show your oxygen level in the blood as well as your heart rate. With oximeters, you can continuously monitor your oxygen levels so that you can immediately identify any abnormality in the reading and seek medical attention as fast as possible. It is important to keep on checking your oxygen levels since; too low levels might lead to complications or might be an indication of an illness. There are many types of oximeters including finger pulse oximeters, handheld oximeters, and wrist pulse oximeters among others. Buying the best oximeter might be a daunting task and that is why we have prepared this guide to help you make an informed buying decision.
Why Use Oximeters?
Oximeters are very crucial in helping you know the oxygen level in your blood. Oxygen is very important element in the body as it helps the cells function properly. Low levels of oxygen might lead to life threatening complications like asthma especially when they are not detected early. Therefore, oximeters helps a person continuously monitor their oxygen levels. The optimum reading for oximeters in people who do have any pulmonary issues is between 95 – 99 % oxygen levels.
Factors to Consider When Buying an Oximeter
Ease of use
Finger oximeters are the easiest to operate since all you have do is place them on your fingertips and you get the reading. However, different devices have differing digital displays and you should choose the one with the simplest readings.
It is very important for a health device to be accurate as its readings can be a cause of alarm. Therefore, while choosing an oximeter, make sure that you go for the one with accurate readings to avoid unnecessary panic due to incorrect readings.
Some oximeters come with an alarm so that you are alerted when something is not right. Others also come with extra batteries and also a carrying case for easier and safer mobility.
You should also look for an oximeter with a long battery life. It should also be durable. It is very discouraging to find out that your oximeter’s batteries have run out when you need to check your pulse or oxygen levels. Additionally, look for an oximeter that has a long shelf life.
Types of Oximeters
The fingertip oximeters are the most common since they are very simple to use. They are easy to carry around sine they are small in size. Most people who do not have any medical condition use fingertip oximeters to continuously monitor their oxygen levels. To get the reading, the oximeter is placed on the earlobe or the fingertip and the readings are displayed on the digital screen. If your finger or ear lobe is too cold, the machine might not give an accurate reading.
Handheld oximeters are mostly found in hospitals and other health institutions. However, they can also be used at home although they are more complicated than their fingertip counterparts. The oximeters have a cable that is attached to a separate screen which shows the oxygen levels as well as the user’s heart rate.
The only difference between a finger oximeter and a wrist oximeter is that the latter is worn on the wrist. Basically, the two machines operate in the same way only that the wrist oximeter is larger than the fingertip oximeter.
Fetal Pulse Oximeter
As the name suggests, this oximeter is used to check the health of a fetus. The machine has a probe that is attached on the unborn baby’s skull to determine if everything is ok with the fetus. It is very important in diagnosing any pulmonary complications in the unborn child.
These are specially designed oximeters for babies. They are specifically designed to perfectly fit on the baby’s finger and toes. They can also be wrapped around the baby’s ankles.
Top Oximeters for Home Use
Vive Precision Pulse Oximeter Fingertip - Heart Rate & SpO2 Monitor - Blood Oxygen Saturation Levels Sensor Finger Reader - Ox EMT Plethysmograph Digital O2 Tracker - Batteries, Case, Lanyard Included
- SIMPLE TO USE: Check SpO2 levels quickly and accurately with a convenient one-touch operation. Suitable for any age, the pulse oximeter uses a self-adjusting spring system to perfectly fit a wide range of finger sizes.
- BRIGHT LED DISPLAY: A vibrant LED display provides easy to read results. Blood oxygen saturation levels, pulse rate and a plethysmograph are displayed, as well as the battery life. A convenient audible alarm will alert users of irregular heartbeats and low SpO2 levels.
- RELIABLE ACCURACY OUT OF THE BOX: Individually tested for accuracy, each pulse oximeter displays reliable readings for blood oxygen saturation levels and current pulse rates. Ready to use out of the box, the pulse oximeter includes two AAA batteries, a protective carrying case and a lanyard. Perfect for athletes, as well as aviators and general health enthusiasts.
- LIGHTWEIGHT PORTABILITY: Exceptionally lightweight, the pulse oximeter easily slips into a pocket, backpack or purse and also includes a protective case for safe storage and travel. Use of the included lanyard keeps the pulse oximeter close at hand for fast and accurate readings while on the go.
- TWO-YEAR GUARANTEE: We stand behind our products with excellent customer service and an industry leading two-year guarantee.
This finger oximeter is easy to use and has cool additional features. On the top of the list is its alarm feature. In case your oxygen levels fall or you have an irregular heart rate, then you will be alerted by the device’s alarm.
. Has an alarm to alert you of irregular heart rate or low oxygen levels.
. Comes with extra batteries, a carrying case ad also an instruction manual for easier operation
. You buy and start using it immediately
. Very easy to operate and you get the hang of it even if you are using it for the first time.
. It is very light therefore easy to carry along.
. Has a clear digital display
- BREAKTHROUGH MEASUREMENTS: Provides breakthrough measurements that aren't available on other health or wellness devices - Respiration Rate (RRp) and Pleth Variability Index (PVi)
- ACCURATE WHEN YOU NEED IT MOST: Uses Masimo SET technology for accurately measuring Oxygen Saturation and Pulse Rate even during movement or low blood flow
- DO MORE WITH YOUR DATA: Display, track, trend, and share your data or store it in Apple Health & TrainingPeaks on compatible iOS or Android devices through the free & easy-to-use Masimo Personal Heath App
- 4-IN-ONE PACKAGE: The MightySat comes also with a carrycase, two Batteries and a lanyard. Each Masimo MightySat Oximeter has a two-year limited warranty
- NOTE: For sports and aviation use only
This oximeter is Bluetooth enabled so you can connect your oximeter to your electric devices. Additionally, it tracks your respiration and PVI (Pleth Variability Index). It is also extremely accurate in comparison to other oximeters in the same category.
. Gives you very accurate readings
. It is Bluetooth enabled so that you can get your readings from other electronic devices like your PC or tablet.
. You can connect it to the Massimo health app
. Has a very clear digital display
Santamedical Generation 2 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Oximetry Blood Oxygen Saturation Monitor with batteries and lanyard - Black
- Newly upgraded: measures quickly and precise pulse rate and Spo2 blood oxygen saturation of arterial hemoglobin levels
- Precise and reliable - quickly determine your Spo2 (blood oxygen saturation levels), fast Spo2 readings, pulse measurements and display it conveniently on a large digital ogled display
- Bright & compact - light weight, easy to carry & accommodates wide range of finger sizes. Bright ogled display shows real time pulse rate, pulse rate bar and Spo2 level
- Light, compact & long battery life- light and compact, accommodates wide range of finger sizes, long battery life, automatic power off after 10 seconds
- You get: fingertip pulse oximeter, neck/wrist cord, user manual, 2-aaa batteries, plus our no-hassle 1 year warranty and friendly customer service
The SantaMedical is one of the best oximeters in the market. The device conveniently and accurately measures your pulse rate as well as your oxygen levels. It also has a one button functionality which makes it very easy to operate.
. Its finger clip is self-adjusting so that it fits in fingers of various sizes.
. Its display is easy to read even under direct light
. It has very low power consumption
. It uses commonly available AAA batteries
. Notifies the user of their oxygen level almost instantaneously
. It has an automatic power off feature.
AccuMed CMS-50D1 Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Blood Oxygen Sensor SpO2 for Sports and Aviation. Portable and Lightweight with LED Display, 2 AAA Batteries, Lanyard and Travel Case (White)
- ACCURATE OXYGEN SATURATION AND PULSE RATE READINGS IN ONE DEVICE: The Fingertip Pulse Oximeter fits all finger sizes from kids above four years old to adults as it measures the level of oxygen in the blood and reads the pulse rate in just eight to ten seconds. It is crucial to use the device in a stationary position and not while in motion for precise readings.
- LOW POWER CONSUMPTION: Equipped with two AAA batteries, the oximeter automatically powers off when not in use and delivers up to 20 continuous hours of battery life.
- PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing only 50 grams, every AccuMed oximeter comes in a convenient travel case that protects it from scratches when carried on its own or inside your gym bag or backpack. Attach the included lanyard to the case or directly to the oximeter for easy reach anytime.
- ROTATING, CRYSTAL CLEAR LED DISPLAY: Read your oxygen saturation level and pulse rate results with remarkable clarity in portrait or landscape formats with auto rotation that detects your hand movement in the CMS50D1 models.
- DESIGNED FOR HOME USE, EXERCISE OR TRAVEL: While the AccuMed Fingertip Pulse Oximeter is handy for detecting vital signs, it is not intended for medical use but rather for situations where you need to know your oxygen level before and after your workout or sports such as running, hiking or cycling, or while traveling in an aircraft.
The best feature of this oximeter is that it comes with a wrist or neck cord which makes it portability easy. Additionally, it is very affordable and it powers itself off automatically. It is very convenient for athletes and everyday casual users.
. Comes with a neck or wrist cord for easier portability
. It has a very comfortable finger placement
. It has a very efficient power consumption system
. Uses AAA batteries
. Has a one year warranty
. Suitable to be used by people of all age groups
Oximeters are very important accessories especially for people with medical conditions or those who lead an active lifestyle. Accuracy, reliability and ease of use are some of the factors to consider while buying an oximeter. We believe that this guide will make your oximeter buying decision easy.
Looking for a new job? Here are the best ones for seniors over 60.