Have you ever wondered what are the best smartphones for the elderly? Read on to learn the facts.
Technology for the most part, is a young man’s game. With the rapid growth of the internet over the last decade, there has been a dramatic wave of impressive smart phones and other gadgets which have changed the way we do things. Most of these changes – as you have probably noted, have been designed to satiate the desires and demands of the modern day tech consumer; the young man/woman. Perhaps unbeknownst to most people, is that senior citizens can be as tech savvy as their younger counterparts. However, with old age comes significant challenges in how your parents or senior citizens consume technology. Think for instance of the challenges that come with constrained eyesight , weaker bones, a higher likelihood to drop things, and so on. The good news is that this significant demographic has not been ignored. In fact, there is a wide variety of smartphones available in the market that are suited for the needs and demands of senior citizens.
CONSIDERATIONS FOR SENIORS
Some of the key considerations that smartphone manufacturers have observed include much simpler displays and larger screens suited for senior citizens. There is also a notable focus on durability for those customers who may have issues dropping the phone. Some phones are also fitted with emergency response capabilities for senior citizens with health concerns. These features however vary with each device and no one device is completely fitted with all these features.
6 BEST SMARTPHONES FOR THE ELDERLY
So if you are in the market for a cool smartphone for your parents – or are beginning to experience the challenges that come with old age, here is a list of the best smartphones for the elderly that you can get your hands on today.
GreatCall Jitterbug Smart Easy-to-Use 5.5” Smartphone for Seniors
- LARGE TOUCHSCREEN makes it even easier to read. The 5.0-megapixel built-in camera with flash has easy-to-use photo sharing.
- SIMPLE MENU organized in a single list with large letters and icons makes it easy to navigate.
- EASY-TO-USE smartphone with exclusive features that are available only available on the GreatCall network. Activate with GreatCall by phone or via the GreatCall website.
- NO CONTRACTS OR CANCELLATION FEES with dependable Nationwide coverage. Affordable, flexible plans with data as low as $17.48 a month. WIFI: 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi direct.
- AWARD-WINNING, 100% U.S.-BASED CUSTOMER SERVICE and support. Turn your phone into a personal safety device with exclusive health and safety services.
The Jitterbug smartphone is an excellent option for the tech savvy senior citizen. It is an upgrade to the more basic jitterbug flip phone, and packs more of the same features including a simple and easy to navigate interface and an emergency response app. This device combines smartphone capabilities with a unique design tailor made for senior citizens.
The Jitterbug smartphone comes with all the common features you would expect in a smartphone. These include email capabilities, internet access and texting functionalities. This phone also comes with both front and rear facing cameras to capture those special moments. The device is pretty handy, boasting a 5.5 inch touchscreen coupled with simple menus for ease of navigation. This makes it one of the simplest smartphones for use by senior citizens.
The Jitterbug smartphone also has pre-installed applications for emergency response, and supports hearing aids making it an ideal option.
For the tech savvy and intensive tech consumer, Apple’s iPhone 8 Plus is an easy option. This device has sharp display, a large screen, and very fast performance. What you stand to gain from this device is a variety of premium features and a 5.5 inch display which makes it easy on the the eyes.
The iPhone 8 Plus allows fast connectivity while also presenting the option to switch from iPhone to iPad when you need a larger screen. Although pricier than most options, the iPhone 8 Plus full glass durable design ensures that you or your loved ones don’t have to worry so much even after dropping the phone frequently.
3. The GrandPad
You may have some concerns over the vulnerability of your loved ones over the internet. Senor citizens are after-all vulnerable to spam callers, phishing attacks alongside other risky internet business. The GrandPad is an excellent choice for you. This device is a smartphone/tablet that will allow senior citizens to stay connected. It comes with an 8 inch full high definition display. This device also has large menu icons for easy navigation.
If you have an elderly person under your care, you can set up the GrandPad and add a list of phone numbers and email addresses allowing your loved ones to connect. This also allows you to screen against spam callers and phishing emails.
The GrandPad has email, video, and voice call capabilities. It also supports social media platforms, so that your loved ones can stay connected with other family members without needing to set up their own separate accounts.
Samsung Galaxy S9+ Unlocked Smartphone - Midnight Black - US Warranty
- Super Speed Dual Pixel Camera with Rear Dual Camera
- Infinity Display: edge-to-edge immersive screen, enhancing your entertainment experience**
- IP68 rating: withstands splashes, spills, and rain so it can take a dip, worry-free***
- Internal Memory 64 GB. Expandable Storage up to 400GB****
- Fast Wireless Charging: Avoid the wires and power up quickly by placing your phone on a Fast Wireless Charger *****
The Samsung Galaxy S9 plus has a giant 6.2 inch display which means that you will not have much trouble with visuals. The large display will allow you to increase text size for easy viewing. It also comes fitted with ease of access features, including facial recognition, a finger print scanner, and an iris scanner.
This device also comes with a very high quality camera, coupled with impressive responsiveness allowing you to take photos and share with family members very easily. This is an excellent option for senior tech savvy consumers who demand high responsiveness and a larger display.
Motorola G6 – 32 GB – Unlocked (AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile/Verizon) – Black - (U.S. Warranty) - PAAE0000US
- Max vision display, 3D glass back. Enjoy edge-to-edge views on a new stunning 5.7" full HD display with a beautifully designed back , Noise- 75 decibel
- Creative Camera system. Unleash your creativity with Dual rear cameras and tools for everything from stunning portrait shots to hilarious face filters
- All-day battery and turbo power charging. Go all day without recharging, and then get hours of power in just minutes of charging
- Fast performance. Get all the speed you need with a 1.8 GHz Octa-Core processor and 4G LTE
- Note: Kindly refer user manual before use
The Moto G6 retails at about $249.99, which makes it an affordable alternative to those who cannot afford the much pricier Samsung Galaxy S9 plus and the iPhone 8 plus. It also includes most of the same features, including a full metal frame design, a sharp and full HD display and a large 5.7 inch screen which allows increasing text size without compromising space. This device has a glass back and front which means you may need to get a case if you are worried about dropping it from time to time.
The Moto G6 has special gesture controls, fingerprint reader and allows for social media, email, voice, text and video connectivity. It also has a water repellent coating which means that some accidental water will not necessarily ruin the device.
OnePlus 6 A6003 128GB Storage + 8GB Memory Factory Unlocked 6.28 inch AMOLED Display Android 8.1 - (Mirror Black) US Version with Warranty
- OnePlus 6 US Version, Operating System: OxygenOS based on Android 8.1 Oreo, CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 (Octa-core, 10nm, up to 2.8GHz), 8G Memory + 128G Storage, Sensors: Fingerprint, Hall, Accelerometer, G-sensor, Electronic Compass, Gyroscope, Proximity, Ambient Light Sensor, RGB, Sensor Hub. Dual SIM - works with all GSM carriers in US including AT&T, Cricket, Straight Talk, NET10, T-Mobile, and MetroPCS and more. "NOT COMPATIBLE WITH VERIZON AND SPRINT".
- Display Size: 6.28 inches AMOLED Display | Resolution: 1080 x 2280 pixels, Aspect Ratio: 19:9 | Type: AMOLED | Supports sRGB, DCI-P3 | Cover Glass: 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Dual Rear Camera: 16MP (f/1.7) + 20MP (f/1.7) Dual LED Flash, Video: 4K resolution at 30/60 fps | 1080p resolution at 30/60 fps | 720p resolution at 30 fps | Super Slow Motion: 1080p videos at 240 fps | 720p video at 480 fps, Time-Lapse, Video Editor. Front camera: 16MP, Video: 1080p resolution at 30 fps | 720p resolution at 30 fps, Time-Lapse.
- FDD LTE: Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/18/19/20/25/26/28/29/30/66/71, TDD-LTE: Band 34/38/39/40/41, TD-SCDMA: Band 34/39, UMTS(WCDMA): Band 1/2/4/5/8/9/19, CDMA: BC0/BC1, GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- In the box: 1x OnePlus 6 | 1x Screen Protector (pre-applied) | 1x Translucent Case | 1x OnePlus Fast Charge Type-C Cable | 1x OnePlus Fast Charge Power Adapter (US Charger), a days's power in half an hour | 1x SIM Tray Ejector | 1x Quick Start Guide | 1x Safety Information
The One Plus 6 offers fast performance, a large display, and an easy to use android operating system. This makes it a perfectly good choice for seniors. Unlike most smartphones, this device has a simple interface on a large 6.28 inch display which makes it a notable rival to the Galaxy S9 Plus but at a much lower price.
This device also comes with some notable features, including water resistance. Like most other smartphones, it is recommended that you buy a suited case to limit the damage and tear which comes with frequent dropping of the phone.
to learn about the best meal plans for seniors.